The Ethical Hairdresser is now open.
Owner, Ric Gardner-Collis, is committed to following sustainable practices throughout his business that are organic, biodynamic, vegan, cruelty-free, plastic-free and sustainable with zero waste.
Ric has been working in the hairdressing sector for over a decade, having started at prestigious salons in London. He wants to help his clients to adopt haircare routines and services that are more mindful. And, being an LGBTQ+-owned independent business, it celebrates diversity of all kinds.
Ric said, “I am delighted to be opening the new salon in the Royal Arcade this week. As well as the incredible location, with its rich heritage and fabulous architecture, the eclectic mix of vibrant independent retailers is just perfect for our salon.
“We offer our clients a bespoke, luxury service that takes a mindful and conscientious approach to their hair design and treatments. Sustainability is absolutely central to our business which is why all the products we use are from Italian brand OWAY, that shares our values and only uses ingredients that are biodynamic, organic, fair trade, sustainable and cruelty-free. The products are developed using renewable energy and packaged in 100% recyclable glass and aluminium. We also use a refill station to avoid unnecessary packaging.”
“We support local suppliers, getting our tea from Bird & Blend and our vegan biscuits from a local baker. The salon interior was designed by talented Norfolk designer Jack Kinsey who has done an absolutely beautiful job in creating an environment that really does give our clients a relaxing space to come in to.
Jack, said, “‘I really wanted to create a space which felt immersive and luxurious which is why we encompassed bold murals and brasses to the salon design. The hair salon is memorable and special, a fabulous addition to the Royal Arcade.”
The Ethical Hairdresser’s manifesto:
- We want to leave the planet in a much better condition that we found it
- We use organic products in salon at all stages of the process
- Our products are sourced from companies with proven and independently verified sustainable and ethical practices
- The salon environment is considered, from ethically sourced wood, environmentally friendly paint to recycled paper in our guest bathroom
- All activities are cruelty-free and animal products will never be found in our salon.
- We are plastic-free and avoid superfluous packaging, offsetting the carbon we produce through ethically-accredited programmes.
- We love animals and the environment and strive to share our passion for fairness and sustainability with our guests and the wider community
- We are free of judgement, we love ALL kinds of people